If you are thinking that selecting a longboard randomly from any reputed brand is the be-all and end-all of buying a longboard, think again.
Mainly if you are a beginner or want to gift a longboard to a beginner, you must think twice.
Don’t be troubled.
You don’t have to sit on the fence as I’m going to review 5 best longboards for beginners in this guide to make things clear for you.
Not to mention, I will be discussing both their upsides and downsides so that you know which one is the best bang for your bucks.
To prepare this longboards for beginners reviews guide, I focused on several factors like –
- First and foremost, if the longboards are perfect for beginners or not.
- If the deck, trucks, wheels, and bearings ensure stability, control, flexibility, smooth turn, or not.
- Which one is good for tall riders, which one is for short riders, and which is suitable for both.
- Which one is ok for heavy riders and which one is for light riders.
- If they are worth buying for a beginner considering the price.
- And some more considerations.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get busy.
5 Recommended Longboards for Beginners – Comparison
5 Best Longboards for Beginners Reviews
1. Quest QT-NSC44C 44” Super Cruiser Longboard Review
- Learning longboarding is easy with this board.
- Enough space for foot placement.
- It offers smooth turns and curves.
- This longboard provides a delicate balance of stiffness and flexibility.
- The deck size (44”) is perfect for both tall and short riders.
- The deck of this longboard is made from hardwood maple and bamboo that ensures both flexibility and durability.
- Quest QT-NSC44C offers 70mm PU wheels, which is considered to be the standard wheel size for any longboard. Particularly for a beginner.
- The wheel durometer is 80A that makes it perfect for anyone weighing up to 180 lbs. However, this is not any hard rule. If you weigh more than 180 lbs like 200-220 lbs, still you can go for this one.
- The rough wheel surface confirms smooth-rolling by offering less grip to the road.
- The reverse kingpin truck (7”) is equipped with double cone bushings that make the board more lively and let it offers a sharp turn.
- Trucks are well lubricated.
- Sturdy and reasonably priced.
- It comes fully assembled.
- To me, this board is not the best option for performing different tricks.
- The bearings are smooth and ok. But could have been more efficient.
- Not for freestyle or dancing type of longboarding.
Quest QT-NSC44C super cruiser is one of the most popular and the best longboard for beginners on my list.
If you want to go from point A to point B without putting too much effort, I believe this one is the best bet for you.
Being said that, if you are looking to perform several tricks, then this is not something you should go for.
Later in this guide, I am going to review some shorter longboards that are good for performing different tricks.
However, doing tricks is not something mandatory for a beginner, I believe. First, you have to be good at going from point A to point B.
I haven’t found any significant issues regarding the bearings.
However, you always have the option to change the bearings if you want. So, it’s not a big deal whatsoever.
If you find the truck a bit loose, don’t bother to tighten that up. It’s as easy as pie.
All in all, if you are looking for an easy to ride longboard to start your longboarding journey or perhaps you want to gift someone who hasn’t begun longboarding yet, go for this one.
You won’t regret it.
2. Atom Drop Through 41” Longboard Review
- A well-balanced longboard.
- A perfect deck size (41”) that is suitable for all sorts of riders (tall or short).
- The deck is entirely made from 9-ply maple wood. Meaning it gives you excellent durability and enough flexibility.
- Wide enough for better foot placement
- As this is a drop-through longboard, so it offers low-riding. As a result, you will be getting more stability during your ride.
- The cutout shape accommodates enough space for wheels; hence, you don’t have to worry about wheel bite.
- The reverse kingpin truck with a 50-degree baseplate offers better turning.
- Grippy wheels (70mm) provide you the stability you require during the ride.
- It comes fully assembled.
- Worth the price.
- The wheel durometer is 78A. Meaning this is not a good option for heavy people.
- Not for freestyle or longboard dancing.
While this one is perfect for downhill riding, still I kept it on this beginner’s longboard list.
I know you are not going for downhill longboarding as a beginner. But as a beginner, you want some extra benefits from your board that may keep you from worrying while riding.
This longboard offers such cool features. I’ve discussed some of the benefits above in the ‘pros’ section.
Let’s learn more.
Any drop-through deck offers easy pushing and braking. This longboard is not any exception.
That means the drop-through deck having a cutout shape is offering many benefits.
The wheel has a big contact patch and a sharp lip. That, in turn, provides excellent grip hence good stability.
As a beginner, you will want to keep yourself free from worrying about a critical issue like wheel biting.
With this longboard, you don’t have to worry about wheel bite at all. This is something that forced me to put this board on my list.
So, no matter if you are looking for a beginner longboard for you or gifting someone you care, I recommend you go for this quality Atom longboard.
3. Retrospec Zed Bamboo Cruiser Longboard Review
- Sturdy board for a first-timer.
- It offers easy maneuverability.
- Available in different colors and designs both in cruiser and pintail shape.
- A large deck size (44”) that is perfect for both tall and short riders.
- The deck is made from a combination of 8-ply maple and bamboo. So it offers an excellent combination of flexibility as well as stability and durability.
- The 7” lightweight trucks offer the perfect turn and lively feeling.
- Retrospec Zed cruiser longboard offers standard 70mm wheels having kind of beveled lip. So, you will get the right balance of grip and slide.
- The wheels are of an 85A durometer. Meaning heavy people who are weighing up to 220 lbs won’t face any issue riding this longboard.
- It offers anti bite technology to avoid wheel biting. Being said that, I suggest you not to go for a sharp turn if you are heavy-weight.
- This board is not rigid. That’s fine. However, I expect a bit more flexibility from this type of cruiser. If you want to give marks on flexibility and stiffness, then the stiffness will get more marks for this longboard.
- It’s not a good board for performing different tricks.
I’m not sure how well you know about this brand (i.e., Retrospec). I must say their Zed bamboo cruiser is one board that I had nothing but to include on my list.
This longboard offers one of the most exquisite finishing among the ones that I reviewed in this article.
Both aesthetically and performance-wise, I have to admire this board.
Not only the performance, it cares about your safety too.
This longboard offers you anti bite technology by implementing wheel wells to avoid wheel bite.
Avoiding wheel bite support is something that you will want from your longboard more than anything else to prevent injuries.
This very longboard is one of the easiest ones to learn longboarding, I believe.
Overall, this is a perfect longboard for roaming around. If you are looking for some quality longboards for beginners, without spending much, this is one of the best bets for you.
4. Atom All-Terrain 39” Drop Down Longboard Review
- This one is a sturdy longboard.
- The drop-down deck offers easy, controlled foot placement and easy pushing.
- The deck (39”) is made from maple that ensures the durability of the board.
- The size of the deck is perfect for both tall and short riders.
- The 7” aluminum reverse kingpin truck with 50-degrees base plate and cone bushings, is a perfect combination for turning.
- The cutout shape offers more wheel clearance.
- This longboard offers a big all-terrain wheel (100mm) with a big contact patch, which is a perfect combination for cruising.
- Suitable for performing different tricks.
- It effortlessly climbs over decent-sized pebbles or any other obstacles, including speedbumps.
- Not a good board for a too heavy person. However, if you are below 250 lbs, you are good to go.
This is the only drop down longboard on my list. I thought I must review a drop-down longboard to see if it works well for a beginner.
The main reason behind considering a drop-down longboard is the stability that a drop-down board provides by offering super comfortable foot placement.
Any beginner who wants to have a beautiful blend of speed and control, a drop-down longboard is something that he/she should be searching for.
The wheel of this board is something that I must not forget to mention. Its big size, big contact patch, and sharp lip offer a good grip that increases the control while you ride.
I like the design of this longboard more than any other board on my list. I know it’s a matter of personal preference.
So, if you are looking for a board to move around that offers excellent stability, turn, grip, and control, you won’t regret buying this longboard from Atom.
5. Quest Rorshack 34” Bamboo Longboard Review
- Convenient deck size (34”) and overall weight to carry it along to your college.
- It offers enough space for foot placement.
- This one is a suitable longboard for performing different tricks.
- It’s a perfect option for a short rider. Tall riders won’t find it bad either.
- The deck is made of a combination of maple wood and bamboo. This makes sure the durability and flexibility of the deck.
- The 65mm PU wheels provide you high acceleration and low top speed. As a beginner, you don’t have to worry about low top speed as you are not going to go for downhill riding, I reckon.
- The small wheel size doesn’t make me worry about wheel bite.
- It’s an 80A wheel. So, it’s suitable for anyone who weighs up to 180 – 200 lbs. If you weigh more than 200 lbs better, avoid this longboard as the wheel size is small.
- The rough wheel surface makes it move smoothly.
- Quest Rorshack is equipped with a high-quality 6” reverse kingpin truck.
- It comes assembled, so you won’t have to worry about putting things together.
- Not a good option for someone who is too heavy (about 200 lbs).
- The price could have been better. However, it’s not high either.
- Only perfect for a beginner. If you are an intermediate or advanced rider, this is not for you.
- Not for freestyle longboarding.
Out of several other reasons behind including this longboard on my list, portability is the most attractive one.
As a beginner, you would want to carry the board to your college, park, or some other places.
This is not a mini-cruiser / mini longboard. But as it’s 34”, you can easily carry it anywhere you want without being a burden on your shoulders.
I believe the bearing quality could have been better.
Nonetheless, you can always change the bearing if you find it’s not ok for you.
I found a lot of people buying Quest Rorshack longboard as a birthday gift. You can buy this one too for gifting any novice longboarder without breaking your bank.
How to Choose the Best Longboard for Beginner? – Buying Guide and FAQ
What are the core considerations for buying a beginner longboard?
Well, while choosing a beginner longboard, I don’t think you should make things overly complicated. Just focus on one riding style, and that is cruising. At first, a beginner should learn to move from point A to point B, right? So, you have to make sure these few things, a) if it’s cruising friendly longboard or not b) if it provides stability or not, c) if it offers reasonable control and flexibility. d) if it gives a right turn. e) if it costs less. f) if it is a good option based on your weight and height or not.
What is the perfect deck size for a beginner?
I don’t think you have to follow any hard rule here. However, I don’t suggest going for a too long deck for a beginner. Otherwise, it won’t be easy for them to control the board.
What is the perfect deck width for a beginner longboard?
Again, you don’t have to follow any hard rule here. Any board that has a width of 7” to 9” is good to go. Wider ones provide more stability than narrower ones.
What is the deck material I should go for?
In short, the combination of maple and bamboo is the best option in this case. Because this combination doesn’t require you to spend too much money, on the other hand, it offers both flexibility and durability. However, only maple or only bamboo is also good to go.
Standard kingpin Vs. Reverse kingpin, which truck is suitable for the beginner?
I always prefer reverse kingpin. In fact, the standard kingpin is kind of obsolete now. Reverse kingpin gives more options to customize if required. On top of that, it offers more responsiveness and control than a standard kingpin. These are something you need to ensure for the top longboards for beginners.
Which bushing combination is right for this kind of longboard?
Cone-cone is ok for a beginner. However, cone-barrel works well too to give both responsiveness and stability. All the longboards that I reviewed here come with a cone-cone combination. Nonetheless, you have the option to customize. But as I said, no need to make things complicated. You are just a starter. Better enjoy your riding instead of overthinking.
What is the perfect wheel size for a longboard for beginners?
70mm is considered to be the most common size. The bigger the size, the better it is for a beginner. All the longboards on my list have 70mm or more diameter except one.
What the heck the wheel durometer is, and what is the best value?
The wheel durometer is a number between 1 to 100, and ‘A’ is used to denote the unit. The bigger the durometer, the harder the wheel is, and the harder the wheel is, the more suitable it is for heavy people.
What is the best price for a beginner’s longboard?
Anything under $100.
Is drop-down longboard suitable for beginners?
Yes, a drop-down longboard offers proper foot placement and control. So, a beginner will find it easy to move around.
What is the best longboard shape for beginners?
As a beginner, you should mostly look for a directional shape like pintail or fishtail. However, symmetrical shape like cut out or drop-down is also a perfect option for a beginner.
In this best longboards for beginners’ guide, I reviewed 5 top quality longboards with their good and evil.
These are all well-accepted longboards by others, as well.
Meaning my review doesn’t reflect only my opinion but also some other real user’s opinion.
I didn’t want to make things over complicated. That’s why I mentioned only those crucial factors that might come in handy for you to decide.
Now it’s your turn.
If you have anything more to ask, please comment below to get in touch. I will be happy to answer.